Name of Event: Hiking Po Toi Island on Buddha’s Birthday
Venue Name: Po Toi Island Trails
When: 22 May 2018 at 9:45 am (Ferry departs promptly at 10am); Return Ferry departs at 3:00pm.
Where: Stanley - Blake Pier Ferry to Po Toi Island (30 mins ride)
Contact person’s name:Bill Fong + Leenor
Contact email address: [email protected]
- Po Toi (commonly Chinese: 蒲台島, originally 蒲苔島)
o About Po Toi: Po Toi is a small, relatively unspoiled island about 3 km off of HK which is accessed by a short ferry ride from Stanley. It's a fun walk around the entire island in a loop: beginning at sea level, then ascending to the summit and crossing along the ridge line, and then down and around sea level. Po Toi has great views, interesting rock formations, an early man site, even a haunted house--lots to see! For more info: click thisdescription and another here.
o Difficulty of hike: moderate with hills; about 3 hours in length. Sneakers or hiking shoes.
o Backpack checklist: (1) many bottles of water/gatorade for 5 hours of sun, (2) HKD50 cash for transportation for the Po Toi ferry, (3) mobile phone, and (4) pack your lunch (eg, sandwich, fruits, energy bar, etc.). There is also a Chinese seafood restaurant near the Po Toi Pier.
- Optional: there’s a small beach cove. Bring a bathing suit if you like (no lifeguard).
o Do not be late (Ferry departs at 10am): Unfortunately, regarding the ferry, we cannot offer the popular “10 Minute Rule.” This is a public ferry, so this time it’s a Zero Tolerance Rule: miss the ferry and you are out of luck!
- Pro Tip: Remember to factor in the walk time from where taxi/bus drops you off at Stanley to the Blake Pier. Plan on getting there early.
o Open event: come one, come all! (* usual disclaimer applies, see below *)
- Coordinator contact info:
o Bill Fong: mobile: 9155 8087; email: [email protected]
o Leenor: mobile: 9813 4033
- Meeting points and itinerary on 22 May (Buddha’s Birthday):
o 9:45am—"Blake Pier/ Stanley" Starting Point: We meet at Blake Pier, which is the public pier in Stanley next to the Murray House in Stanley. You can see it easily from Stanley Plaza, the Stanley McDonald, or Stanley Main Street (the mini boardwalk where all the outdoor restaurants and bars are located).
- 10:00 am—Tsui Wan Ferry departs from Blake Pier to Po Toi. The r/t fee HKD 50. (* Don’t be late; the next ferry departs at11:30am.*)
o 10:30am – 2:30pm Island Time:
- Hike at your own pace and enjoy the sights. There is plenty of time. The actual hike is probably between 2-2.5 hours long.
- The vertical gain is about 200m. The beginning is steep-ish but no worse than dragon’s back.
o 2:45 pm Ending Point: Finish strong back to the Po Toi Pier
- 3:00 pm: Tsui Wan Ferry Departs Back to from Po Toi to Blake Pier/ Stanley (* Don’t be late; the next ferry departs at4:30 pm*)
- Interested? Here’s how to participate:
o Show up on time at Stanley Blake Pier
o RSVP via Email to the Coordinators and provide 3 pieces of info: your name; your preferred contact email; and the number of participants.
o In case of rain or likely bad weather, we will email you of cancellation.
- If you cancel, please let us know by email.
Additional info: How to get to the Blake Pier/ Stanley.
- A taxi from anywhere in Hong Kong is the easiest way. Every taxi driver knows the way and the name "Stanley" in English so there is no problem there. Ask to be dropped off by the Plaza (where the MacDonalds, amphitheater, Blake Pier and Main Street/boardwalk are located).
- Bus 6, 6A, 6X or 260 from Exchange Square bus terminus in Central will take to Stanley Market. Just a short walk to Blake Pier/ Stanley Plaza.